Saturday, July 12, 2008

It’s all a matter of circuits

My newspaper column this week.

“Stephanie, you changed colour! Nice software!”
That line, originally uttered by robot Number 5 from the 1986 movie Short Circuit, was the bane of my high school existence… and the culprit most likely to utter it, huge grin plastered to his face, was my pal Norm Gagatek.
We were a pretty tight knit group. We were the band geeks, the science wing squad… we were the Columbia Valley Goonies.
But one of our number now needs our support.
On Saturday July 5, Norm had a small stroke and was Stars ambulanced to Foothills Hospital in Calgary. Even though a stroke as small as the one he had is usually undetectable, this one occurred in the brain stem. What was most affected was his wake up function, and for several days he was considered to be in a coma. Also affected is his vision.
His motor functions were not affected, but there are other effects of the stroke for Norm to overcome.
There is, of course, a worst case and best case scenario, but I, and I know many other people, are putting their energy into focusing on the best case scenario which will see Norm home with wake up function and all motor skills intact.
Norm’s wife Kim has been a rock, and even if she did not have so many friends and family members rallying around her, as well as everyone from home offering her support, I believe she would still be as strong and resilient as she is. No small feat when she is also caring for their four-year-old and expecting a teeny Mini-Norm (or Mini-Kim) in early 2009!
As so often seems to happen with our community, people have rallied.
Messages to Kim and Norm on their Facebook support page (Norm Gagatek Support if you are looking for it) and visits from old and not so old friends have I know meant the world to them.
It is hard to say just how long Norm’s recovery will take. But the more positive energy sent his and Kim’s way the better. And if you are in Calgary, or can make a trip in, Kim has said visits from friends are helping immensely. Check with the nursing staff about good visiting hours.
Who has not at some point been the recipient of Norm’s giant heart and will to help out? Few can say they have ever asked something of him and had him say no. I doubt anyone can.
Even last Monday, when at the last minute we needed someone to tow our Canada Day float for the youth centre, it was Norm who came through for us, adding to his already hectic schedule, and doing so with a smile and asking nothing in return. It may sound cliché, but they truly did break the mold after they made our Normy.
I saw him just two days after the stroke. He did not open his eyes or talk, but he squeezed my hand when I made bad jokes, and when I was lippy… a squeeze of the hand might not quite be a snappy comeback, but it go the message across: he was listening and boy when he fully wakes up am I going to hear an earful!
I don’t want to update his progress at this point because as I sit writing this it is Saturday evening, and by Wednesday when you will be reading this, and I am having a visit with him, who knows what leaps and bounds he might have made.
Suffice to say, each day brings new hope, new achievements, and new strength to meet the challenges ahead.
And for possibly the first time ever, I am hoping to hear those familiar words, with the familiar laugh and predictable smirk: Stephanie, you changed colour! Nice software.”
You only get one free one Norm. I expect to hear it soon.

6 comments:

MargieCM said...

Stevie - it's been so long, and I've just been reading your last few posts. Where do I start?

Firstly - I love you to bits. I am sure Norm could have no better friend and supporter. People make make wondrous recoveries when they have people as special as you around them helping them to do it. I'm sending him my best wishes for a steady and happy convalescence.

Now you. I am so sorry to hear that you and Ian have separated - no matter how amicably or in however dignified a manner. It's never a happy time. How like you to be thinking more of the affect on Hayley. Of one thing I am sure - her love for you will not change. I think you're one of life's wonderful "constants", even when all around is going pear-shaped. It's a real gift, but please try not to be too strong all the time. It's tough to be a saint! (Not that I would know, believe me).

I hope the house hunting works out for you soon, and that you are OK and at least secure in the knowlege that what has happened is the right thing for you.

Love, hugs and best wishes for new beginnings,
M x

Anne-Marie said...

Stevie,
like Margie, I've been out of the blog loop the last few weeks. I'm saddened to read about your split with Ian, and I wish you all the best as you go through these changes that are not easy in the least, no matter how amicable or civlised they may be.

I also hope for the best for your friend Norm. He is blessed by your presence in his life, and I thought your column was quite touching.

Hugs and love sent to you,
AM

Lannio said...

Stevie,

The love and support you give to others is astounding - as is your writing talent. I hope people are giving you the love and support that you need during your time of need and transition. We live so far apart so all I really can do is send you this cyber hug (((((Stephanie))))). I'm sad to hear about your split with Ian, but know that you will (are) come (coming) out of it well. Having it be amicalbe is a plus - but nevertheless is not easy.

Good luck to your friend Norm too.

Love
Lesley
XX

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I too hope he is making/has made(?) a full recovery by now.

Also, I hope things are going well for you. I expect Ian is back in the Valley by now. I'm thinking about you during this transition. Both of you.

There are new photos of Hayley on my blog.

xo

Vallypee said...

Hi Stevie, what a heart warming post. Your support for Norm is even more tremendous given the difficult time you are going through yourself. I pray the he makes a good recovery too, and am thinking of you as well. I do hope things are going better for your Stevie. As Margie says, look after yourself too!

Stevie said...

thank you all so much... I am sitting at the ottawa airport after a rush in and out trip for a meeting, and was feeling so sad, and then i came here and read all of your messages... and i smiled....
this has been a rough week. To top off everything...
I nearly quit the youth centre. I had to cut hours drastically at the YC because of funding issues, and when she found out my so called faithful assistant decided to rage about me and call me a greedy terrible person (and even allude to me being a thief) in a letter to the entire board.
So I took a part-time job and I will quit the yc I think in the fall.
but all is well, really, and having the likes of all of you makes me feel far better.
Ok... time to fly....
love to all...
xo
S