Sunday, September 09, 2007

For Margie, Gypsy and Val: S'mores 101

Okay class. This is an intensive course with explicit instructions regarding the making of S'mores.
Several marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate pieces were sacrificed in the name of culinary science, and the following scenes are graphic, so my more senstive viewers should proceed with caution. Note: no S'mores were actually harmed in this process. Just eaten.


First, the ingredients as they look prior to unwrapping.
The next three photos are of my intrepid lab assistants, all trained and ruthless professionals.


Agent Hayley.


Agent Scott.


Agent... erm... Justin.


This is my personal favourite for the chocolate aspect of the S'more: a square of a Caramilk bar: milk chocolate filled with rich, oozy caramel. And Rache, I found dark chocolate Caramilks... just say the word, baby.


This is perhaps a more traditional chocolate filling: a square of Hershey bar.


But whether you go Caramel or Hershey, the basic ingredients, pictured here, remain essentially the same.

Now, there are two ways to go about this. The first is more traditional, but the second is my preferred method.

First, the traditional method:


To begin, you toast the marshamallow, preferably over an open fire, but a candle inside will do in a pinch. Of course, proper camaraderie and support is vital, a pictured here by our intrepid agents.


Here in our inner sanctum, we are exceedingly fortunate to have the talented marshmallow toaster, Scott, at our beck and call. Agent Scott has used this ancient roasting technique to provide perfect marshmallows for all occasions, as well as to defend our country from terrorist threats.


As you can see, his talents in this field are awe-inspiring.


Agent Justin displays the chocolate fill choice for the first lab: ultimately, despite a close vote, the Hershey won out.


The pieces are now painstakingly assembled: the bottom graham cracker, followed by the chocolate piece, the marshmallow, and then the second graham cracker is placed on top, used not only to act as a top level, but also to hold the toasted and gooey marshmallow in place as the roasting tool is removed.


And voila! La S'more! Up close and personal! Note: this S'more was over 18 when the photo was taken.

Now, the second method, and my personal favourite, requires a wire roasting "basket" of some sort, as you will see in the next few photos.

The basket being loaded up...


The S'more is assembled cold, and all three componants are roasted simultaniously, creating not only a gooey middle, but a warm and toasty outer cracker.


This technique also allows for more than one S'more to be cooked at the same time... another bonus! Here, agent Hayley demonstrates the technique.


And here you see it, this time with a Caramilk square inside. As you can surely deduce, not only does the chocolate get gooey, so does the caramel... mmmm... caramel....

All right then. Class dismissed. I will be grading your practical techniques upon receipt of your homework via Bert.

24 comments:

MargieCM said...

Brilliant, brilliant brilliant! Please convey my heartfelt thanks to Agents Hayley, Scott and erm ... Justin. They clearly take their responsibilities seriously, and are masters of their art. You must be very proud.

I think too that you have a future in food styling - these pics are truly the goods, and I am salivating as I type. (It's doing the keyboard no good at all.)

I had no idea there were so many variations! They all look fabulous, and I must say, Agent Scott's toasted marshmallow is indeed a perfect specimen. I doubt I can better it.

I can see S'mores rate a high ten on the decadence scale, which puts them firmly on my radar. If that postman doesn't come up with the goods soon, I'm emigrating.

Many, many thanks for this comprehensive and entertaining manual Stevie - and I think Agent Hayley needs that first pic up on her wall; don't mess with a girl and her chocolate! It's a beauty.

Dale said...

Bravo Steph!

Those photos explain it to a T and better...

I tend toward the traditional pure chocolate.
It's no wonder they're called s'mores!

Where was I when all this was going on?

gypsy noir said...

Thats a brilliant team you have there Agent Stevie!!..
Those S'mores look delicious!!!..
I hope bert didn't eat them on the way or worse still trade them to Thai ladyboys for a few nights of passion!!..wait till I see him..
You should do a secret cook book with your very able Agents.. excellent!!!!..

Stevie said...

as always I put huge photo files on, so if you click on them you get a far superior view... especially of that toasted marshmallow... might become my new desktop....
very glad you liked the tutorial guys! It was tons of fun to do!
Dale, it was a last minute thought last night... I should have enlisted you to be the prop master (or is that mistress?)!

gypsy noir said...

PS..I must get round to posting your prezzy , I have it all ready to go now :0)..

Vallypee said...

Eeeeeeeeekkkkk!!! Squeal...skiddddd!!! Sorry..puff puff...Steph...pufff....I'm late for class. Do I have to make S'mores a hundred times as punishment? I'll do it, promise!!.....;-)

Ahem, shhhh, but they sound sinfully divine, Steph! Thanks soooo much for the lesson in making them xx

Stevie said...

110 S'mores please young lady...
:0)

Unknown said...

OMG, where to start?! You're staff of trained professionals is brilliant!

I just rolled when I enlarged the one of Scott and Hayley. Scott's grin is just diabolical. There's a Bond role for him somewhere, someday...and, of course, Charlie's Angels for Hayley (or Hershey's Angels?)

S'mores and marshmallow perfection...what more can be said? Well, there is that dark chocolate option...must go camping again....no firepit in our backyard :(

So....um.....has anyone seen Bert lately?

Dale said...

Thank you, Stephanie!

;)

You made my day.

gypsy noir said...

Cue Bond theme tune..

Nobody does it better
makes me feel sad for the rest
nobody makes S'more like you do
baby your the best..

gypsy noir said...

Got an e-mail off Bert last night..
Says he dropped the S'mores in a Thai whore house, he is apparently stuck there against his will..

Hmmm?..yeah right!!

Mary Beth said...

A very informative lesson! I actually have an indoor S'Mores cooker thingy...I guess it has a propane little fire thing in the center for the roasting process. I like your baskets, though - very efficient. I'm not a brown or burned marshmallow type of person. :)

Oh my God, a S'More with Caramilk - can you think of anything more decadent??!!

Stevie said...

I know! It's simply devine with caramel...

Dale said...

stuck there against a wall covered in caramel, marshmallow and chocolate...

MargieCM said...

Do S'mores have healing properties? Feeling cold-y and terrible today. Seeing your pics again cheered me up though.

Anne-Marie said...

Please sir, I want 'smores.

You are a born teacher! And bonus points for using visual-aids!

xx
AM

Vallypee said...

Hear hear Anne Marie !(or is it here here?...never sure). Stevie's use of visual aids as a support tool in her lessons is simply magnificent!

Gypsy, Bert stuck against his will? Lick my s'mores!!!

ALFIE THE FRENCH DUKE said...

I'll deal with that fungal feathered rodent when he gets back..
Val, I can lick my ****s.

Stevie said...

It was a gas doing the S'mores post... I think I will be enlisting the kids to do a showing the house photos shoot.... two days... it's our tomorrow, and we start moving in on Saturday!!!!

gypsy noir said...

Oh i see that Alfie has been lurking!..
GOOD LUCK WITH THE MOVE!..
looking forward to pics and vids of the new abode..

Lannio said...

OMG, I'm really late for this class. I think I fell asleep behind the wheel and crashed and burned for a few days ... I then had to go out huffing and puffing to get rid of all those calories I consumed when eating smores this summer.

What an excellent illustration. You and your gang are zee best!

Unknown said...

Happy moving day! Day one, that is...

Hope it's going well.

xo

Vallypee said...

Oh good luck Stevie!!! Hope the move goes smoothly and you settle in real fast...looking forward to the pics!

Lil Pixy said...

::Flies in and swipes a marshmallow.. flies off::

Lil