Sunday, February 11, 2007

Passionista

So I decided to make the 2.5 hour drive to Calgary the night prior to my three days off, so as to avoid doing the dull driving part of the event on my actual vacation day. Good choice as well, as it snowed a bunch the next few days. Arrived at Beaner's house about 2 a.m., snoozed on her couch with the cats a few hours and then set off to find the apartment I had borrowed from some friends in my favourite part of the city, just seven or so blocks from The Artists of the World gallery where the event was set to take place the next night.
The rest of the day was an orgy of nothingness, once I figured out how to not be on duty every second of the day... that took a couple of hours.
GORGEOUS apartment! An older building, circa early 1960s, with the predictable old style bathroom and kitchen, and the little cubbys that the milkman would have put the milk in the morning. Two lovely bedrooms, hardwood floors throughout, a decent living room and a wonderfully naturally lit sitting room left open with just a couple of matching armchairs and a lovely little art deco table. And art, art everywhere! It was simply perfect. Lindy was not able to join me until later in the day, so I spent a few hours checking out old haunts, wandering in lovely lazy fashion along 17th Avenue... ahhh.... then home for a soak in the tub (a treat as at home I have only a shower) and a leisurely cup of tea.
When my darling Teacup Girl Miss Lindy arrived, we settled her into her room (with a Maya Evantov on the wall... my favourite artist ever) and then it was off to The Unicorn to have drinks and nibblies. Introduced her to her first proper scotch, then we wandered along Stephen Avenue talking and catching up... me with life in general, and her filling me in on her couple of months long trip to Europe to soak in art as she readies herself to enter Emily Carr, an art school on the coast.
The next day we set out to capture photos for her to use in her portfolio, wander through Devonian Gardens, tour though Art of My Heart, one of my all time favourite Calgary shops, and talk talk talk. A quick bite at the Auburn Saloon, another favourite spot (Lesley, it is at the base of the Calgary Tower and has phenomenal pumpkin soup and spectacular hummus) a cab back to the apartment and it was time to ready ourselves for Passionista!
Of course, we were devastatingly beautiful, her with her dark hair and eyes and me with my red hair and blue eyes.
One thing we did not do, however, was plan on a cab being at the apartment at a pre-determined time. Called every cab company in Calgary... and then realized, open toed four inch heels and all, we were walking through the snow to the fundraiser! Had we been in jeans and boots, we would not have bothered, but in heels, we had not planned to walk! Giggling like mad women and mincing though inches of slushy snow, we managed to snag a cab within about four blocks, which ironically enough could not turn onto the one way street where our gallery was only a few away. So we circled around in rush hour traffic, arrived just in time to make a spectacular entrance (at least in our own minds!)
It was lovely... three floors of art, endless varieties of nibblies and drinks, two bands, one playing Sinatra and one jazz, body painters, dancers, and couches all over to sit and chat and absorb the evening. We fended of several creepy sort of rich men, and flirted with a several non-creepy and lovely rich men, and remained spectacular and sparkling throughout!
After things wound down and it was properly dark and cold outside, it was another cab searching adventure and back to the apartment... but not before a quick trip to the corner store for Red Bull and chocolate. Some Chinese takeaway, our red bulls and pots and pots of tea kept up going until the wee-est of hours as we crammed as much visiting in as possible before taking our sleepy selves to bed...
The next day was the drive home, and back to reality.
Photos to follow soon!

8 comments:

Stevie said...

there were typos in that thar post... should have read that "it snowed all the next two days... and I arrived at Beaner's at 2 a.m."
tee hee!

Vallypee said...

Sounds like you had a heap of fun there Stevie! Any pics of the dazzling duo for us to see?

It's good to have an away day now and then. Puts the sparkle of adventure back into life.

Stevie said...

Photos coming soon to a blog site near you! It was brilliant, and only about two weeks too short!
And to answer your question from before my dear Val, I was kidnapped by the dreaded Ovaline sect of ninja mice, I am sure they are the same ones that attacked Dale not so long ago... Gypsy told me only the Ferrion sect could defeat the Ovalines, (so called as they feed me only various flavours of marshmallows and Ovaltine) but I now fear that our darling Gypsy attempted a rescue and was herself captured... I have not heard from her or seen her on the others sites in just ages... we may need to form a rescue team for her now... though they switched me to Jelly Babies today, so she may relish captivity...

mrose said...

Sounds fabulous! i only wish i could have joined you....

Unknown said...

Wow, sounds fun and relaxing. God knows you deserve it!

Dale said...

It must have been a great girl's getaway!

I find it hard to unwind and let go of duty, as well.
I love 17th Ave, too.

Although I'm a bit of a know-nothing when it comes to art, I can still appreciate a good piece.
And I love old homes...

Looking forward to the photos!

Stevie said...

Yes, my darling Miss Margery, you would have made the whole thing even more perfect! BUt you were with me in my heart! :)
Dale, all you have to know about are is whether you like the colours as far as I am concerned... hence my love affair with Evantov pieces! Lots of brilliant colours! There are a few in the Artym Gallery, but only one that is my favourite. I am not so fond of her newer pieces... ah well.
Rache, after arriving home and facing a teen (my own this time, instead of a youth centre member!) crisis here, I think that drink in 25 years might have to come in, let's say, five!
Val... I wish I had taken more, but the ones I have will be on soon!
Hmmmm... a dinner party on a barge in the Netherlands... that might merit further consideration!

Dale said...

Hey Stephanie!

That was great talking with you last night!
'Tis a small world, after all...

We're skiing all day today and ordering Chinese - heads up Gypsy! - on the way down, so we can pick it up when we get to Windermere.

I'd better get on breakfast now...

:)