Saturday, January 27, 2007

the Russian piano teacher

Sisterhood of the Travelling Teacup

Okay. Everyone be very quiet.... we are at my son's piano lesson with his extremely talented and hugely strict Russian master piano teacher... Inga.
She is brilliant. One of the best in Canada, easily. She studied at the St. Petersburg Conservatory, taught at Mount Royal, played with the Calgary Philharmonic for years, made CDs with Cenek Vrba and sopranos and on and on.... retired here in the valley but could not stand to not teach, and my son is one of her few students. As he shows great promise, and has an true talent, she adores and dotes on him, but is also very strict with him. And oh my goodness gracious, piano is everything. Oh, and there is no dropping him off and picking him up after the lesson. Oh no. I am to stay for the lesson as well so I know just what he has to work on.
If Scott actually practiced the way she wants him to, really put the effort in... holy crap the kid would be amazing. I think he is amazing anyway, doing as well as he does with as little practice time as he puts in... but if he ever really puts it into gear... wow. But I don't want him to hate piano as a result of too much pressure, know what I mean? And boy oh boy, the Russian work ethic puts us all to shame to be honest. SO we are getting ready for his Grade 6 Royal Conservatory exam in the spring... and putting together a few little concerts for friends as he really loves to play for people and has not had too many opportunities. He told me recently, what really gives him pleasure is for people to hear him play. He is going to play at the long term care facility soon, and then at the retirement home (where, incidentally, Inga's mom now resides.. no pressure).

Shhh. I am pretending to be getting work done. Don't tell Inga I am blogging. Hee hee hee!
I love to hear him play. He and his brother are such joys in my life, as is my stunning step daughter with the brilliant pink hair... LOVE IT!
talk to you later... I just got the "look."

13 comments:

Stevie said...

we're doing theory now...

hey gypsy... how do you spell Cingen Polevaulter properly??

Anonymous said...

Inga sounds marvelous, in a traditional Russian kind of way. I'm sure Scott is learning a great deal from her; and I don't doubt for a minute that he'll come through with flying colors for his 'concerts'!

Did your stepdaughter tell you who put the pink in her hair?

I understand you got quite the correspondence from her today. I'm glad. I wanted her to be the one to tell you guys what's been going on....

Teenagers. Sometimes I think it's amazing that any of us survived those years...

Stevie said...

wouldn't do the teen years again for all the gummy bears in Gyspy's cupboard.
And if it was you that was the doer of hair... good job! It looks awesome!
Yeah, Ian gave her the fatherly advice, and I got to give the step mom advice... hee hee! Somewhat less reponsible... but she said it made lots of sense to her....
:)
We will persevere, my dear!

Stevie said...

hey, where is your photo??

Dale said...

Pink hair!

Beth dyed her hair blonde yesterday, but I haven't seen it yet...she's still sleeping.

Dale said...

My brother went through the Royal Conservatory and is now a piano teacher in Wakefield Quebec.

I don't know if you know that town, but it's a funky artisan town full of ex and not-so-ex hippies.

He also does photography and makes shaker furniture.

I hope Scott keeps up with the piano - it sounds like he has talent.

Who's this anonymous?

Stevie said...

It's rache, but I switched over to the "new" blogger... and I think screwed things up a bit... Beth blond huh? I did htat once... couldn't get back to red fast enough... but now, I think I tmight be fun to try it... especially if I am going to shave it all off anyhow! Really really blond.. hmmm....

Unknown said...

I don't know why that happens occasionally. I show up anonymous with no photo! Blogger playing tricks?

Don't you recognize me Dale?

Oh BTW Hayley so loved that you posted to her MySpace, Stevie.

Vallypee said...

Hi Stevie, you must be treading a very careful line between encouraging your son and putting pressure on him. It's wonderful that he likes performing for others, though. I bet he'll grow up to be a performer...who knows you may have a star on your hands ;-)

My mum was a pianist and she made my sister and I learn, and typically I really resented it and gave it up at the first opportunity. One of my big regrets in life...sigh...but yes,,,the pressure!

Dale said...

Oh Rachel, I see you now!

BTW I've been meaning to compliment you on your new id photo...you look fahbulous dahling.

...especially when this blog does not allow anonymous comments...

Stevie said...

Hi guys... a busy blooging Sunday!
Dale: I am very glad to hear you are taking the day off.. really off.. if you don't take care of you, how can you take care of life? Wakefield... no haven't heard of it, but seems like a good palce to puton the "places to visit" board!
Rache: I was glad to post on h's myspace. I wanted to say something rather more caustic to Alyssa, but I held back... :)
Val: yes, it is a tough line sometimes, because he truly has so much talent, but I do not want to sour his love by pushing too hard. I am going to video him at this next little show at the seniors home, and I'll see if I can flatten out a bit enough to put it on my blog... I am terribly proud of him.
What a marvelous Sunday. Are well all here today?
I love that I have you all in my life.... you have become this safe haven for me, a community of strong, fabulous women and I feel so privilaged to have been welcomed into your circle as I have been.
Oh good god, I think I felt a tear spring up...

Unknown said...

Yeah. It's like that....

Lannio said...

I'm going a new colour tonight, I'll tell you how it turns out!