Tuesday, April 13, 2010

the road home all started with a contest...

"While it's just a fun contest - we start shooting Dragons Den in a month - I will likely be at 8,000 followers by then on Twitter - but Kevin Oleary is tracking about the same numbers and rate of growth. How do I get to 10,000 serious honest genuine followers before he gets to 8,000? Game on!"

So read the Facebook post by my friend Brett Wilson. I met B several years ago when he hosted a fundraiser for my youth centre. We forged a friendship, and keep in touch, albeit via email as he has joined the ranks of celebrity and we really do not travel in the same circles.
Anyhow, I figured, what the heck, and posted on my own Facebook for people to help Brett out.
My friend, and former publisher, Sheila wrote me a note the other day regarding this.
It read:
"So I was on Brett Wilson's webpage like you suggested and was checking out some of the links he has, other organizations he has helped out. I noticed a 'fuckcancer' bracelet and checked it out. I have corresponded with the designer and she is giving me one for our Kickoff party and any that we sell because of our promoting it, she will give us $50 per bracelet for the Relay. How great is that?"

I responded, "not just great, but fucking great!"
You see, Sheila beat breast cancer a few years ago, so raising money for cancer research via the Relay For Life (same event I shaved my head for a few years back) has taken a more personal note for her.
Then, after going to her page, (I so rarely go to individual pages as I am on dial up... poor excuse, I know), I realized she has cancer again.
And my heart fell.
Just now it is still falling... I will stiffen my spine and cowgirl up tomorrow.
Sheila and I had our moments of butting heads, one strong woman to another, but one thing I can be certain of is she is a woman I always want in my life, though I have moved away and rarely see her.
She is funny. She is strong. She is witty. She has a huge heart, and strong conviction. I have such respect for her.
She is a force to be reckoned with.
She is my friend. And she has cancer.
I am ordering a bracelet, and I am including the link if you want to see it... or order one yourself.
Funny, how a light-hearted contest for Twitter followers would be the thing that brought me back 'round to base, back to my roots, to friends I have left behind physically, but whom have not left my heart.
The world is a curious place... made all the richer for the presence of one Sheila Tutty.
Fuck Cancer Sheila. Fuck it.


"did the ol' head shave today. Took the grandkids with me and had a bit of fun with it. I did not know I looked so much like my brother, until I was bald. Clearly Tesslin doesn't care. She just kept rubbing my head and patting my cheeks. Aren't children wonderful?"
http://www.fcancerembracelife.com/

6 comments:

Unknown said...

just glad to be part of the very small - and very wonderful world we live in.

yes - fuck cancer.

am just leaving for small town Saskatchewan for the funeral of my Uncle Keith. Liver Cancer.

yup - fuck cancer.

Stevie said...

B.... my heart is with you. Travel safe...

Anne-Marie said...

Aw, Stevie, that really sucks. As I may have told you when I participated in the candle and paper bag lighting a few years back, my father beat cancer three times(two bladders, one liver) before the fourth one (brain tumour) didn't let him get away. I run the school Terry Fox run every year to honour him and all the others, survivors or not.

I hope your friend is two times lucky.

Brett- my condolences on the loss of your uncle. Hopefully we will all get old enough to see this disease eradicated.

xx
AM

Dale said...

That's Sheila??

So beautiful, really. I did not know she has been struck again. Dear God...
I, too, have always admired Sheila.

My Mum beat it over 30 years ago, all the while losing a breast in the process.

Yes, FUCK Cancer.

xo

Stevie said...

Anne-Marie... I remember making those luminary bags! I think I made about 10 for our little blog family... it was an honour to do so...
Dale, yes, that is Sheila. She is undergoing chemo this time, and will have one or both breasts removed later... one thing about our Sheila tho... she takes a challenge and meets in square in the eye. I was thinking I need to find her a purple wig... I loved my purple wig... but it was a loaner from a friend! I would still wear it now and then if I had it! But Sheila might prefer a pink one... think I will see what I can find.
Love to all... and Korrina... I miss you , and I love you... you are my Darling Lovely... thankyou for your words on my other post, and for playing the game! Be well darling....
xo

Vallypee said...

I am so humbled by these wonderful people who endure so much, have so much to give and so much life to live and are threatened with having it all curtailed. Besutiful words as always Stevie, and beautiful photo too. Children really don't care what their loved ones look like..as long as they remain there to be loved. xx