Friday, October 19, 2007

my first Executive Director's Report

Though I hardly deserve to ask for feedback as I have been a most negligent blogger, this is my first Exec Dir report... I'm kind of nervous and am hoping it is all right. (I guess it will have to be, as I have already sent it to the graphic artist putting the thing together).
As I have been published more times than I can count, I've no idea why this one should make me nervous.
Here it be:

Franklin D. Roosevelt once said “We cannot always build our future for our youth, but we can build our youth for our future.”
I couldn’t agree more.
Our third annual An Evening With… fundraising gala has a new title as of this year: Paint The Future, which speaks not only to our adult community members helping keep vital programs like The Summit alive, but also to our youth taking an active part in ‘painting’ our future.
The days and years ahead will evolve according to how we prepare our youth for them, and we have many incredible youth in our midst who are adding their own distinctive flair to the canvas that is our community.
The Summit Youth Centre has become a constantly growing, positive force in our valley, and there are more changes to come in the next year. Forays in graphic design, a second annual youth empowerment camp and continued partnering with prevention programs at David Thompson Secondary School and the Family Resource Centre are just a few of the branches that have grown from our once small and fragile seedling.
But those changes, and all those before, cannot and would not have come about if not for the support of the community, both private and corporate.
While this is a thank you initially to the sponsors of our flagship gala fundraiser, it is also to thank the many others who have aided us in the past year:

The Windermere Oilmen’s Golf Tournament participants, most notably Keith MacPhail, Hank Swartout, Rafi Tahmazian, Grant Fagerheim, Paul Wanklyn, Rick Braund, Brett Wilson and Kevin Fleury
Fitz Flooring
John Fitzsimmons
Christine Wandzura
Yolanda Fries
The Par Three Participants
Copper Point Resort, Ron Mason and Dean Forbes
Copper Point Golf Course
FirstEnergy Capital Corporation
The British Columbia Gaming Commission
The Columbia Basin Trust
The Columbia Valley Community Foundation
The District of Invermere
Everyone who has ever purchased a hot dog, raffle ticket, cookie or pop at our barbeques
Every individual who has offered a cheque to us large or small, there just is not room to name you all.
And to every kind and encouraging word, in-kind donation, offer of assistance and volunteer hours, thank you.
If I have not listed you or your organization, please know it was not for lack of gratitude, accept my apologies and contact me at summityc@telus.net to ensure I have you on our detailed sponsors webpage.

To my outgoing board of directors’ executive of 2006/2007 and my incoming executive for 2007/2008, without you none of this would have ever come about. The guidance and support you provide me with is invaluable, and although it far too often goes unheralded, it does not go unnoticed.
To the youth board members, I encourage you to use your voice to help guide our path, and always remember: you are the reason.
One more highly valuable member of The Summit must be recognized. Going about her job with diligence and a smile is Susan Davidson. Our Sue-Anne is the right arm without whom I could not function.

I look forward to our next year with anticipation. Every day that I am fortunate enough to be a part the youth centre has its own lessons, challenges and rewards, and it is with a grateful heart that I come to a close with another quote, my personal favourite, by Nellie McClung:
"I do not want to pull through life like a thread that has no knot. I want to leave something behind when I go; some small legacy of truth, some word that will shine in a dark place."

With warmest regards,

Stephanie Stevens
Executive Director

13 comments:

Lannio said...

Stevie,

You have the gift with a quill, the heart of a true benevolant and a strong personality. This combination comes thru strong and loud in your report. Keep up the good work m'dear.

XX
Lesley

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Stevie. This is lovely. Really. You have worked so hard at this for so many years and brought Summit Youth Center to where it is now. Your love for what you do shines through - and inspires your donors, too I'm sure :)

I haven't been in blogland for a few days... It's good to see you back, and the pictures on your last couple of posts are priceless!

Anne-Marie said...

Stevie,
I can hear the commitment and passion in the words that you wrote. They are lucky to have you at the helm.

xx
AM

Vallypee said...

Hear hear, your love for your work is vocational in the true sense of the word, Stevie and I very much like the way you have started and ended with two very pertinent but also moving quotes. A lovely report, dear. Well done. xx Val

MargieCM said...

Stevie, this is fabulous, and you should be so proud of your achievements. How fantastic to be engaged in something that affects so many lives so positively. Just great.

As for your last post - haha! I'd just finished a note about Bye Bye Baby on Vally's post - it was the song they played at the funeral in Love Actually. Great choice! Go out with a giggle. I loved your list.

Stevie said...

that's totally why I want it! From the movie!
hee hee!

gypsy noir said...

10/10...Very well done..
you're such a profesh!..they are lucky to have you..

MargieCM said...

Stevie Stevie Stevie it came at last! Bert has rediscovered his wings and delivered a pristine, uncrumpled packet of Graham crackers, (they must be the most expensive crackers in the world after you posted them here bless you!), and it now only remains for me to get the troops together and GO FOR IT. I'm thinking this weekend could be perfect. Mads is now in the middle of her final exams and chocolate is a crucial component of her survival strategy. (Mine too.)

Thank you SO much for taking the time and trouble to do this Steph - and I still have your chocs on the sideboard aaaargghhh! I WILL send them on Thursday. That way you might have them for Christmas. No, just kidding - it only takes about a week tops to get things to the UK from here, and you can't be that much harder, surely?

Mind you, it's clear it was the Oz postal service at fault here - I received Vally's lovely book today too, and I know she posted it yonks ago. They must be stockpiling on the Melbourne docks again. They do that.

Anyway, thanks again - and I was right - I haven't opened the packet yet, but they really are like nothing I can get here. Oh, what a deprived outpost of civilisation!

Dale said...

This is great!
I admire your dedication to our youth of today. It seems to be an ever-changing world out there. The children need to be prepared. In some ways I don't think they are ready, which worries and saddens me. Or maybe I was negligent in my own teachings...

Whatever the truth, we can only push onward and, hopefully, our youth will learn and follow.

I cannot imagine that you missed anyone on your report! It's an impressive list.

BlackVelvetLace said...

Stevei, this is eloquent, and your passion for what you do show through with every word.

Where have you been published??

~Lace~

Stevie said...

Hey Lace
Mostly newspapers (various weeklies and dailies) and a few magazines.. no books as yet, though my dad has five so so out there!
It's not like I am a famous author or anything, but as a journalist I am used to having it all "out there" so to speak.
Thanks to all of you for your comments... I appreciate every one...

ian gordon said...

That reads really well. I like the Franklin D. Roosevelt quote at the start which, as a Brit, I'd not come across before.