Monday, September 15, 2008

Punk rockers....


Denyss McKnight


Kaine Delay


A bunch of my girls... I am in there somewhere...


Mosh pit frenzy...


My achingly beautiful girls... my little sisters... my heart.

There were technical issues from hell, the warm up band had to bail (and I totally do not hold it against them... they had been together like... 12 hours) and the gig started 45 minutes late.
But it was glorious. The kids danced and moshed and tried to sing along and the band brushed away all the sound issues and glitches and gave a HELL of a show.
We broke even, and they are coming back after their tour.
All in all... a success.
I am going to share with you a bit of what Denyss said. You may remember Denyss from my post about him and my Dearest Dru in the car accident...
This was on his My Space bulletin.

"September 12, Invermere/BC
Our first show of the tour. Youth event in a small town at a community centre. It's been ages since I've done one of these, and I'm not sure LSD has EVER done one.

After an agonizing all night drive which left Thana and I delirious with sleep deprivation and too much Red Bull, we arrived. At first, I can never be sure what to think and I sure as fuck hate pre-judging a show before anything happens. So I waited. I watched kids roll in to the hall. I remember being their age. Looking at a band from out of town as some foreign and rare gem. In a small town, you don't see this often. With that in mind, I tried to be the kind of guy I would have wanted to meet when I was their age and living in a small town going to a punk rock show. The other bands on the bill bailed last minute, so it really was all on our shoulders. The intro hit and a hall full of teenagers start screaming. They're ready for anything and we're just as ready to give it back to them in appreciation.

The sound was terrible. The vocals kept cutting out. The electronics were too loud out front and not in the monitors. My guitar was inaudible. But it was fucking incredible. Sweating, dancing, singing along when they could figure out the words.

It made me remember. It made me grateful for my teenage years. It made me proud that I can carry on a tradition that has more integrity, depth and strength than any mainstream audience could ever compete with. This is my world, these are my kids."


Mine too, Denyss. Mine too.

5 comments:

Vallypee said...

What wonderful words from someone who knows what they give to their 'kids'. I could love him myself just for that. Some of the best concerts I've ever been to have had 'technical issues' and the bands have risen above and beyond them. Great to know it's happened there for you and yours Stevie.

By the way, how's himself??

Drucilla said...

I love Denyss so much.

I'm sorry Lindy and I couldn't stay longer, I really would have liked to have seen more of you.

Next time, next time.

XOXOXOX

Stevie said...

Himself is lovely. We are both a little nervous about it all... but one day at a time....
:)
much longer next time dearest Dru...

kae. said...

The show was so fun. I'm so happy it all worked out. And I'm glad the band had a good time too :)Yay!

Anne-Marie said...

Sweet.

Glad you all had a great night.

xx
AM