Sunday, June 15, 2008

A series of unfortunate and fortunate events....

So, sometimes you have to really wonder.
Last night something happened that could be viewed as lucky or unlucky, depending on your perspective.
I had gone into Calgary to see Left Spine Down, my startling beautiful Dru’s startling beautiful lover Denyss’ Vancouver based band. Over the past few months I had flaked out on her twice already due to work commitments, so I was determined to be there for this performance at The Underground in Calgary. And seeing as how these two awful plastic Goth girls, both of whom outweigh Dru significantly, and for whatever reason (jealousy I am sure) have both acted in threatening manners, even at one point one of them hitting Dru on the dance floor under the auspice of not perhaps being clear on mosh etiquette, I was not prepared to leave her side until she and Denyss were in the car and on the way to her apartment.
That was nearly 2:30 a.m.
My plan was to head over to Twisted Element to visit my two favourite drag queen friends Tara and Laura and talk about plans for a gay pride event in the East Kootenay.
And I know exactly where Twisted is, but for some reason, went down the wrong street.
Realizing my mistake, I circled around to get on the right street, which is one way.
As I rounded the last corner, an ambulance shot past me, and I saw the aftermath of a REALLY recent crash, like maybe a few minutes tops.
And as I carefully navigated around it, I saw standing in the street, Denyss and Dru, both looking very rattled, the unfortunate occupants of the smashed vehicle I was now stopped beside.
Of course I parked immediately and ran over to poor Dru who was wide eyed and shaking violently.
“Steph I don’t know what happened, I don’t know what happened.”
As I held her I looked over at Denyss, also pale but retaining, I must say, an impressive calm.
The long and short is this: as they headed home, with three green lights in front of them, Dru, who was driving, began to cross an intersection and was broadsided by another car, driven by a young woman who had been clubbing with her three friends. I am not sure just how many drinks were in that other driver, but it was obvious she had had at least a few, and her friends several. Luckily she and two of her passengers were ok, the forth sustaining only minor injuries but having to be extricated from the back seat of the car.
Dru does not drink at all. I feel compelled to point that out, as well as the fact she is a very careful driver.
The other car hit them with enough force to spin them around and slam them into a light standard on the other side of the street.
Had the timing been even slightly different, this story would have a tragic outcome as she would have hit my Dru’s driver’s side door and I don’t even want to think of what may have happened. And thankfully both Ds were wearing their seatbelts.
I am incredibly grateful I took the wrong street and came upon them. My cell was off, and though Dru’s first thought was to dial me, I would not have received the call. I am even more thankful they are both ok. Bumps and bruises and sore muscles, but essentially fine.
The car, however, was totaled.
So, you could say they were unfortunate to be in the accident. I prefer to think they were incredibly fortunate to be ok.
What a way to meet Denyss for the first time, and Denyss, though I am sure you will never read this, Dru will, and I want to say I was honestly touched by the care you took of her, and how calm and level headed you remained. Your concern for everyone around you, including the occupants of the other car, speak volumes for who you are, and I am glad you are in my Dru’s life, even if only when the two of you can be.
And Dru, Dearest Dru, you were so very strong throughout the entire episode. I was… am… so very proud of you. You are made of stern stuff and I hope you realize how impressive it is that while most people would have fallen apart, you did not.
I love you. Thank you for being ok.
xoxo
ADDENDUM:
I fear I made Dru out to be weak and wimpy and that is not the case, so I would like to add that, though she is slim and tiny, Dru also tosses around bales of hay at her place of employment, and if she had to I am sure could handle herself quite well, but two against one you know... not cricket, hence my concern for her well being in regards to the plastic goth girls.

8 comments:

Drucilla said...

I am just SO thankful that you were there, I don't know what we would have done without you. I definitely would have fallen apart if you hadn't been there.

Like Denyss said, you're an angel.

Stevie said...

and you are my family dearest...

MargieCM said...

Stevie, I agree with you on the question of luck. It was fortunate they weren't injured, and also fortunate that you came upon them. Can that really have been mere luck?

Brushes like this make us sit back, take stock and be thankful. Thankful for friends, for good fortune, for the ability to feel happiness and sadness, and for the chance to do it all again tomorrow.

I loved your writing in the last post by the way. Very, very special. Sometimes a visit to the darkness can be good; and as you've proven, life then has a way of putting it all in perspective.

Take care Stevie.

Dale said...

Things really do happen for a reason, whether we realise it at the time, or not for years to come.
My entire life over the past year I have come to call "a series of unfortunate events", but I've clung to the very idea that life unfolds as it should.
Take the leassons.
Look for the good.
And life will.

I am so glad that Dru and Denyss are OK, along with the occupants of the errant vehicle.

You were there for a reason, Steph.

Dale said...

And, your previous post was very powerful.

Don't you just love words?

Lannio said...

Yikes, this post gave me goose bumps as I was broad-sided 7 1/2 years ago by an 80 y/o man who ran a red light and smashed into the passenger side of my car as I spun around and sustained a massive whip-lash injury complete with a fractured vertebrae in my neck and a misaligned lumber spine.

I'm not sure why these event happen, but I guess that's why they're called accidents. I guess it's just one type of test that life throws at a few of us.

kae. said...

Not related to your blog post but...

I am so down for doing spell jars with you. You name the date and I will be there!

Anne-Marie said...

I'm glad everyone involved was okay in the end.

xx
AM