Saturday, May 05, 2007

Okay, my news!

So, I have been the program coordinator of the Summit Youth Centre for, hmm… I guess five years. Part of the first year as assistant coordinator, then taking on the top role.
So anyhow, it has never been a high paying position. It started out as $14/hour, but only 25 hours per week. Then I was raised to $15 an hour, for 30 hours per week. But it was never enough to actually live on, so I have always had a second job. Last year it was at Gerry Gelati, which I LOVED, but I was working an average of 70 hours per week (of course not all paid hours), and was pretty well exhausted. (You see, I have been paying my rather large business loan the whole time, but not actually focusing on my business because the youth centre seemed (and seems) like such a vital part of the community). Plus, this valley is horrifically expensive to live in. Most recently I have been working with literacy, teaching senior citizens how to use computers. It cut my hours down a bit, but also my income a little. And... well, let's just say while I love the actual job and the seniors... it may not have been the best choice I have ever made.
Long story short: at the youth centre there has never been enough money to pay me properly and give me full time hours. But without being paid properly and at full time, I could never find the funding situations to make that happen. It's a chicken and egg thing, really.
So, I had a “wee” breakdown about a week and a half ago, told my assistant coordinator I was going to quit both jobs and find one that was only 40 hours a week and paid properly (even had an offer), and my assistant totally freaked. So, after badgering me for what seemed like hours, she convinced me to let the board of directors know what was going on. She also wrote to the board and told them her thoughts… fairly bluntly.
So I did it. I let them know as much as I love this work, I simply cannot go on like this.
So, they bit the bullet, decided to scrunch the budget, put our dream budget into action right away, and pay me the full 40 hours per week, and raise me to $20 per hour, with the understanding I go out and get what we need to stay on with our dream budget.
Which means: I can work ONE JOB!
The other bonus to this is once I secure an endowment fund for the centre, and I am ready to go, I can leave the job, open my photo shop, and just be a board member, but we will have a job to offer that is actually attractive to someone.
Of course, the downside to this is now the pressure is really seriously on for me to find a lot more money as our bank accounts will now drain faster, and really soon, but, at least I can focus on it solely.
So, the past few days I have been speaking to them all, and I realize all of a sudden how truly weary I have become over the past year or so, have told the literacy position I am quitting and hopefully it will only be one more week with that. And, I will be able to rest. Crazy man. Crazy!
Ian is even more relieved than I am I think, and hugged me ever so tightly when I told him.
So that is my news! Seems jobs are the changing tide for me, Lesley, Dale and Rache!

14 comments:

Vallypee said...

Yay Stevie. I'm happy to be the first to congratulate you. That's fantastic news. You must be relieved, delighted, excited and nervous all in one. Go for it girl! You'll make it a huge success, I'm sure! xxx

kae. said...

i'm so happy and proud of you.

gypsy noir said...

Well done you!!!..
It seems to me that when it came to the crunch (have you ever been to the crunch?, its quite daunting) that they simply couldn't do without you, and value you so much that they had to make you an offer you couldn't refuse (said in a godfather type voice)..

I think you have more than earned this...
happy, happy, joy, joy!!..

Lannio said...

Gypsy's right. Sometimes we have no idea how much we're valued by others until "push comes to shove". Way to go girl! You obviously are a hard worker and deserve this more relaxed pace of life. But, it also looks like this is just the starting point to the second part of your work dream and you've still got lots of hard work ahead of you. Good luck! I hope your plan goes very smoothly and quickly!

Stevie said...

Thanks you guys! I am still somewhat shellshocked I think... reality will set in soon enough!
Kori darling I am so glad to see you here again!
Everyone, Korrina Ashley is one of my darling teacup girls... and I adore her.

Stevie said...

....every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in...
hee hee!
I have to admit... I have never finished watching the Godfather. We even own a copy....

Anne-Marie said...

Congrats, Stevie! this is wonderful news.

xx
AM

ian gordon said...

Sounds really good.

You must always value yourself.

Employees are quite content to have people burn themselves out.

"Being appreciated" is fine. But at the end of the day its the actual money in your pocket which has to feed the family and pay for the roof overhead.

Well done on taking these courageous steps towards a brighter goal.

Mary Beth said...

Congratulations!It must be such a relief to have to work at only one place instead of travelling between 2, and coordinating schedules, etc. Sometimes it takes a drastic move for people to see how much they appreciate you. Good going!

gypsy noir said...

As long as you havent got a horse!..

Stevie said...

huh? Horse?
Oh... wait! HEE HEE! The Godfather thing! Right?

Unknown said...

Made 'em give you an offer you can't refuse, didja?

Well, its about time!!!

Congratulations!

Oh dang, now you know I'm back....sort of....:D

String said...

Hi Stevie, I have never been here before, but hey wanted to read your news! That is great, congrats! Nice photos!

Vallypee said...

Hey Stevie, hope all good with you in your world. Have you started your new/revised job yet? Let us know how you're doing, kiddo..xx