Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Small towns kick ass

Columns again.... we'll see!

I'm home! After two years away, nothing says home like the Columbia Valley, and I am sure as heck happy to be back in your midst!
There are so many reasons I love this place, not least of all because my children are here.
Family, friends, familiar places and a general feeling of being back where I belong have all meshed together to give me that ol' Mayberry feeling I wrote about years ago when I was a new reporter for The Echo.
Having been out of the committing journalism scenario for some time, I look forward to writing a column now and again and offering my sage and brilliant perspective on all sorts of valley issues... heh heh! Oh I hear the collective groans now!
But one thing I do want to touch on with no uncertainty is our health care.
Now, I know there are always going to be people who gripe endlessly about small town medical care, and I know that just like in every profession there is a wide variety of talent and experience.
And I know something else.
I am sitting here clacking away on my computer today for one reason and one reason only: our hospital rocks.
See, a few Mondays back I got sick. Very sick. By Tuesday morning my husband Tony made the decision for me that I needed to see my doctor, Theresa Ross, immediately. And I did. An hour later I was in her office, with Tony doing the talking as I was in a fog of pain and fever.
And Theresa had me up in the ER, then the ICU, very shortly after that.
Things are a little hazy from that first day or two, though I do recall snippets here and there, many of them coming back like clips from a “best of” show.
If I could play it on a screen for you, with internal monologue dubbed in, it would have sounded something like this.
Upon first arrival...
Me: I hurt everywhere... so cold... please help.
Nurse: We're going to give you something for the pain Stephanie.
Me: I'll take anything.
About half an hour later...
Doctor: Stephanie you are very sick, we need to do more tests and you are being admitted.
Me: Mmm, yes sick. Goodness Percoset is lovely.
Ok, ok, of course my memory is a little befuddled, but my point is the doctors and nurses did such a good job of caring for me I really had no idea just how ill I was, or how close I came to dying.
Had I been in Calgary or Edmonton, sitting in a waiting room for untold, and precious, hours, the outcome for me would have been very different.
But I was not in a big city hospital.
Nope. I was here, in our little town, in our little hospital, getting the treatment I needed exactly when I needed it. Theresa, along with Drs. Francois Lowe, who was in the ER that day, Mike Walsh and Shannon Page, and nurses Teena Godlien, Ann Zurbriggen and Clara not only did their job, they exemplified professionalism, compassion, and respect for me that week.
I know there were other nurses who were involved, and please know it is not that I value you less. I have to plead memory issues from that week. What I do clearly recall is that first day in the ER with Teena, long days with Ann and long nights and Clara, my primary pair, who checked my vitals too many times to count, and made decisions for me when I was just incapable of doing so myself.
It did eventually occur to me how serious it all was. But when you have a group of people doing their job so well... heck, it just made it easy not to be afraid. And I was so confident they would take care of me, even without the Percoset I drifted in and out with an underlying sense of safety.
We have a wonderful team here.
I am thankful for all of you. I know I would not have received the same quality of care or compassion anywhere else.
Too often we take the bonuses of small town life for granted.
Heck, we take life for granted.
Not so much anymore for me. I am still recovering, still feeling the effects. I guess it`ll take a while. But when I think of the damage sepsis can cause, and look myself in the mirror, I remind myself my kids still have a mom, my husband still has a wife, complete and essentially in good working order.
And let`s face it. I just have too many opinions yet to voice.
Catch you on the flip side folks. Sure is good to be home.

7 comments:

Vallypee said...

My goodness, Stevie. You wrote this over a month ago, and I had no idea! No idea at all. My oh my, why did it take my whim to come here to find out. I'm so very sorry. I'd just got out of the swing of you blogging. It seems I'm not the only one, as there are no other comments. I so hope you are well now, and so very glad you were where you were when it happened. What was it? What made you so ill? Your account is brilliant, but all I can glean from it was some kind of sepsis. Do let me know! Thinking of you and caring too. We haven't been in touch enough. Please start blogging again. I just can't do FB the way others do it. In fact, I hate it, but go with the flow in a minimalist sort of way. I use it to support the work and art of my friends. If an when you write an article for your paper, I'd like to share that too. I'd like to share this as well, but it's too personal. Too much from you to your friends. I wish I wasn't the only one still here. Much love and hugs, VallyP xxxx

Stevie said...

Oh Vally, all is well now! With limited internet access (I am typin now on my phone!) I haven`t been blogging much, but I do miss our little family. You are welcome to share this if you like. It was meant to be public at some point as a thankyou in the paper.
As for what caused the sepsis, it was a campylobactor infection. I have a colonoscopy scheduled at months end to see if the damage is healed and determine what the underlying cause of me being so suseptable to it is. But I am much better! Will have internet soon and in the meantime must find a way to blog more again. Thanks so much for your support darling Val!
much love,
Stevie xoxo

Vallypee said...

What a relief! I dread to think what could have happened if you hadn't got the wonderful care you had from your local doctors, nurses and hospital. I'm sooooo glad you are well again. And yes, when you have internet again, we can blog each other again. Keep well till then! Big hugs xxxx

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Stevie,
I came via my own blog and a comment Val left about you that caused me to get alarmed about you. I am so glad to read that all ended well.

I have to say, like Val, I am rather dissatisfied with FB as well. Too superficial and not at all the right place for me in many ways, the ADD poster child who gets a headache from all the stimulus.

I am back in blogland as well, just needing to slow things down and stop the endless viral chatter. I don't mind FB, but it's not the same as here, where I can hear myself thinking.

Wishing you continued good health,

xx AM

Vallypee said...

Yay, Anne Marie, I'm so pleased you are moving back to blogging...ooops, I should be saying thi on your blog...coming right over!

Stevie said...

lol! You two are adorable! I like facebook for some things, but this is so much more personal. I need to set aside time to write and visit more... soon, hopefully, I will be on internet at home!
That is the one drawback to living on a ranch in the midst of ruralland.... difficult to get internet!
love to you both... talk soon...

Anne-Marie said...

So funny that you say this is more personal, despite all the privacy settings on Fb and this being just... out there.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. Be well.

xx
AM