Sunday, June 27, 2010

a conversation with the cat.

"Cadie, nice cats to NOT drink out of the toilet."
Cadie flicks her tail and glares over her shoulder at me.
"Cadie, you do not even really live here. You are Daryl's cat. You live in the shop. You just visit here."
Again, the most disdainful of looks is directed my way. A stretch, a yawn, then Her Highness sets one leg delicately in front of her and begins to groom, wondering, no doubt, what makes me think I am not the interloper here.
"Cadie, come outside please. I have to get to work. I put nice dishes of cat food and water out there for all of you, even you ranch cats that are not really mine."
a cajoling "puss puss puss" gains a modicum of attention from the grand duchess of Amber Autumn Alpaca land.
A toss of her head, a flick of her tail, and she slowly gets up and walks past me, giving my leg a gentle nudge as she passes, a reminder that she tolerates me despite my eternal faux pas... that of course, is being human.
Heading towards the door requires winding through table legs, sniffing the mat, and sitting just in the doorway so I cannot quite close the screen.
"Cadie," I begin, and then, just sigh.
After all, nice humans do not consider themselves superior.

9 comments:

Lannio said...

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

As every cat owner knows; nobody owns a cat.

In a cat’s eye, all things belong to cats. English proverb

There are many intelligent species in the universe; they are all owned by cats.

Stevie said...

ROFL! perfect Les! This particular kitty is very certain of all these things. and she is not even our cat, but all the animals on the ranch have decided we are theirs....

Anne-Marie said...

She sounds purrfect. And Lesley's explanation works for me.

xx
AM

Dale said...

the duchess of Amber Autumn Alpaca Land...

purrrfect

Dale said...

dogs have "people"

cats have "staff".

Dale said...

Still, you have a way with words, of which I am envious...

signed

a Person
with thumbs

Stevie said...

Dale, I have read many of your words, some of which hang on your wall, and you are never, NEVER, to be envious.
Yours words make my heart tingle.
Have I told you I love you lately?

Stevie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vallypee said...

Stevie, I LOVE this post...

Dogs and cats...yes...dogs see us as their masters to be adored and followed. We share our homes with our dogs...

Cats now...cats deign to tolerate us in their homes. All we are really good for is providing food and comfort, and we absolutly do not own them...flick..sniff...toss..

A besutiful cameo of a real cat.